22 May 2009

Rainscreen


















Rainscreen siding system. The wood is reclaimed fir from the same batch of wood as the floor joists and flooring. The rainscreen portion of the house was covered in EPDM rubber and then 2 x 2 sleepers were attached over the EPDM. The wood siding is then attached to the sleepers.

The first image show the curved rainscreen section along the north wall. The curved section was constructed by cutting kerfs in the ends of the board about 4' back from the end. The boards were then glued and pressed in curved forms we built in the shop. The ends of the boards were then attached to a curved steel pipe behind the rainscreen, the pipe is attached to the house and to a pier cast in the ground.

A light is installed behind the curved rainscreen section of the wall to flood light down the back of the rainscreen. At night the curved section is illuminated and provides a nice visual effect for onlookers.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very very cool looking detail that I am planing to steal for my addition in Maine. I have one concern and I wonder if you might be interested in commenting. Does the gap between the wall and the siding create an attractive space for bees and wasps to build nests? I suppose it would be easy enough to deal with if they did but I'd like to know it going in. You can reach me at gavin@centerlinebuildingcompany.com.

    I love the work you guys are doing.

    ReplyDelete